MWI [Methodist Women in Ireland]
MWI links together all the women’s groups within the Methodist Church in Ireland. Its purpose is
• To enable members through fellowship with each other to deepen their personal commitment to Jesus Christ.
• To relate the teaching of Jesus Christ to life in the home, the church, the community and the world.
• To share in the mission of the World Church.
• To provide a link with the women of other churches in Ireland and throughout the world.
Our local group of ladies in Omagh Methodist Church gathers in the Dick Bell Room usually on the third Monday of each month as shown on the Programme below. We have an interesting and varied programme with a variety of speakers. We also enjoy informal occasions such as days away and meals out. Please come and join us at any of our meetings; you will be made very welcome.
Photo: Members of Omagh M.W.I. at their AGM Monday, 18 November 2019
On Monday 18th November 2019 Omagh M.W.I. members held their Annual General Meeting in the Dick Bell Room. There was a good attendance of ladies and Rev Eleanor Hayden dedicated the money collected by members in their Missionary Boxes for use by the church’s overseas missions. Important announcements for December were highlighted as follows:
1. The Christmas Outing to the Strule Artes Centre on Thursday 12th December at 8.00 pm.
There are still a couple of places available. Enquiries to Lorna Alcorn
2. Christmas Carol Singing
• Springlawn Nursing Home, Tuesday 17th December at 2.30 pm
• Meadowbank Nursing Home, Thursday 19th December at 2.30 pm
Please plan to come along and join us
Following reports by out-going Secretary, Ruth Alcorn, Treasurer, Lorna Alcorn and out-going President, Anne McBain, the election of officers was presided over by Rev Eleanor Hayden.
New Committee 2019 – 20
• President: Mrs Doreen Preston
• Secretary: Mrs Lorna Preston
• Treasurer: Mrs Lorna Alcorn
• Church Flower Rota: Mrs June Carmichael
• Tea Rota: Mrs Ann McFarland
Rev Eleanor then gave a very uplifting and encouraging talk on the importance of women’s work in the Methodist Church in general and the M.W.I. in particular. She expressed her on-going support of our local M.W.I. group. The evening finished with a “Bring & Buy” Sale and a delicious supper.
M.W.I. PROGRAMME FOR 2019
January, Sunday 20th
Annual Service in Harold McCauley Home at 3.00pm
February, Monday 18th at 8.00 pm
Speaker: Mrs Ida Johnston C.E.F.
March, Friday 1st
Women’s World Day of Prayer
St Columba’s Church 8.00 pm
March, Monday 11th at 8.00 pm
Speaker: Miss Audrey Hodge
April, Monday 8th at 8.00 pm
Speaker: Mrs Doreen Preston
May, Sunday 19th 11.30 am Annual M.W.I. Service
Speaker: Mrs Marjorie Bennett
June, Saturday 8th
Combined Outing with 1st Omagh Presbyterian P.W Ladies, to Hillsborough Castle
July / August Summer Break
September, Monday 16th
Speaker: Ms Michelle McDaid
Air Ambulance Service
October, Saturday 19th at 9.00 am
M.W.I. Breakfast in the Peter Good Hall
Speaker: Mrs Avril Neely Ballymoney
An opportunity for visitors to join us.
November, Monday 18th at 8.00 pm
Annual General Meeting and Box Opening
Speaker: Rev Eleanor Hayden
There will be a “Bring and Buy” Sale at this meeting
December, Thursday 12th
Christmas Outing to Strule Arts Centre